Monday 9 March 2015

Gym Bag/Volleyball Kit Essentials

Whenever I leave to go to the gym or volleyball I always feel as if I'm forgetting something - and half of the time I am. This blog post is going to be all about my essentials I take to the gym or to a volleyball session. I figure even if no one reads this post at least I can use it as a check-list to make sure I have everything before I go!

These bags are based on the occasion that I would be heading straight to the gym or volleyball from work or if I were already out (hence the actual clothing I would wear during the work out). Obviously if I were going straight from home I would just wear my workout gear there.



Gym Bag Essentials



Gym card & money - Pretty self explanatory. If you need a membership card to gain access to the gym, best not forget that. If your gym requires money to rent lockers make sure you always have change on you. It's not worth risking leaving your things out for anyone to take - so make use of the lockers.

Sports bra - if you're a lady please please please wear a sports bra when you work out. You need to protect your puppies and keep them supported! The sports bras I use are from Shock Absorber. These sports bras give the ultimate support, even when I play volleyball (which involves a lot of diving and jumping). They also come in a range of colours and I currently own the white and black ones. I would highly recommend this sports bra for ladies who require a bit more support.

Shock Absorber sports bra

Work out gear - When I work out I like to wear lycra leggings and a loose vest top or shirt. I tend to always wear dry fit clothing as they are the most comfortable when I sweat and allow for a wide range of movements.

Sweat towel - although this may not be an essential for everyone, I NEED to take a sweat towel with me when I work out. Besides, if you aren't dripping in sweat, are you really working hard enough?

Socks and Trainers - I wear ASICS trainers to the gym. I love having a pop of colour coming from my shoes. I have always worn ASICS trainers for as long as I remember. These trainers are very light weight and really comfortable. The mesh around the toes makes them super breathable and allows everyone to see my matching florescent socks - what more could you ask for?


Water bottle - I always take a water bottle to the gym with me. It is really important to keep hydrated and I'd much prefer to take a sip out of my water bottle while I'm on the go than stop and to find an available water fountain.


Gadgets (phone and headphones) - again this may not be essential for everyone but to really get into the workout I love to listen to loud, upbeat music. The music I have is stored on my iPhone so I just take that to the gym with me and I use my Beats by Dre Solo Headphones to listen. I much prefer headphones to earphones. I find earphones tend to fall out of my ears and the sound quality isn't as good.


Layers - It is important to keep warm when you leave the gym so take some layers with you (especially in the colder seasons). I usually take a pair of tracksuit joggers and a hoodie.

Extras - If you need any medication, obviously take that with you. I'm asthmatic and I could not go the gym without my inhaler. Although I may not use it, I know if I don't have it with me I will panic and not push myself as hard as I could. Also if you are planning to shower at the gym please take some body wash, shampoo, conditioner and deodorant. I always go home straight from the gym so I don't need to take these with me.



Volleyball Bag Essentials


A lot of the essentials in my gym bag are also needed in my volleyball bag including a sweat towel, layers, a sports bra, any extras (inhaler) & a water bottle. There are also a few changes that are specific to volleyball.


Volleyball Kit - Like my work out clothes, most of my volleyball wear is dry fit and lycra. I always wear a pair of lycra shorts when I am playing volleyball and usually a t-shirt. If I'm playing a match I would wear my numbered team shirt.

Trainers and Socks - When playing volleyball I wear a different pair of ASICS. I have had these shoes for years and I will need to replace them soon. As you can see they are wearing out a bit. The reason why I wear these trainers is that they are a bit sturdier than my others and provide a bit more support to my ankles which is important when playing volleyball. I also where higher ankle socks - these too provide more support than the socks I wear to the gym.


Knee Pads - Last but definitely not least, knee pads. Men tend not to wear knee pads as often as women as they are able to dive for the ball onto their chests. For obvious reasons women can't do that so we tend to slide onto our knees first to take the brunt of the dive. That is why we need knee pads to protect our knees from the hard court. Although that doesn't stop the bruises!!




Thank you for taking the time to read my gym/volleyball bag essentials. Let me know if you have any extra essentials. I hope you have a fabulous day.

Bye for now x

No comments:

Post a Comment