Saturday 4 April 2015

Germanwings Flight 9525: Thoughts from a Flight Attendant

So I have been hesitant whether to publish this blog post or not. I am aware that the topic is controversial and potentially sensitive for some and the last thing I want to do is offend anyone. Despite this I have been thinking about the Germanwings plane crash since the 24th of March and I felt the need to share my opinions, as a flight attendant, with you all. Declaimer – Although we will never know exactly what occurred that day, the following post is based on information I have gathered from numerous news articles. All the opinions are my own.

The last few years have been deeply saddening for the world of aviation. Since I first applied to become an airhostess there have been a number of high-profile plane crashes and incidents that shook the world. It began on the 8th of March 2014 with the Malaysia Airline Flight 370 that disappeared over the waters off Southeast Asia. To this day the whereabouts of the aircraft and the 239 people on board is unknown and with this there is huge speculation and a number of theories about what occurred that day. Following this incident another Malaysia Airline Flight, MH17, was shot down over Ukraine in July and an AirAsia flight crashed into the Java Sea after trying to avoid weather. These incidents were just few that have occurred since this time last year.

More recently, Germanwings Flight 9525 has made headline news after Co-pilot Andreas Lubitz intentionally crashed the aircraft into the French Alps. I wont go into great detail about what supposedly happened on the aircraft as it is all over the news and investigations are still being carried out. Instead I want to share my thoughts about the tragic event.

I first heard about the crash when I received a text message from my boyfriend after I had finished working an early shift. As a flight attendant hearing the news that a commercial aircraft has had a fatal crash makes my heart sink. The following day at work, after a pre-flight briefing, the crew and I were discussing what might have happened on Flight 9525. Decompression was mentioned which would have meant, due to a lack of oxygen, the pilots could have become unconscious causing the crash. This would have explained the loss of communication between French radar and the aircraft. The idea of pilot suicide did cross my mind but the thought of a pilot making the conscious decision to murder all passengers and crew on board is much more heart breaking than a technical fault or accident that could not have been predicted, in my opinion. As a member of cabin crew, I have full faith in all of the pilots I work with and trust them completely with my life. It is saddening to know that the crew members aboard the flight that day must have felt the same way – including the Captain who left the flight deck, trusting Lubitz to be in charge.

As the days go on, more information about the incident is being revealed in the news. Reports have emerged suggesting Lubitz may have been suffering from mental health problems and officials say Lubitz had been hiding an illness from his employer. Authorities said investigators found antidepressants and torn-up medical leave notes, including for the day of the crash, in the co-pilots apartment. Germanwings said it never received a sick-note from Lubitz. This makes me hope for change. In light of this incident I would like to see medical professionals personally contacting airlines if a member of crew comes to them and are deemed unfit to fly (especially if the reason is due to mental illness or depression). If the company had been contacted by the medical practice, the awful events that lead to the death of 150 people may have been prevented. I am in no means blaming the doctors Lubitz saw prior to the event. They were only following procedure and they could not have predicted what was going to happen.

When I first heard that the Captain was locked out of the flight deck by the co-pilot, I was shocked to discover that Germanwings did not require at least two people to be in the cockpit at all times. Since the incident other companies including EasyJet and RyanAir have changed their procedures, as they too did not have this rule in place. The sad truth is that we learn from our mistakes. Unfortunately, security and safety procedures change in aviation when an accident has occurred and authorities do the best they can to prevent this happening again in the future. Take 9/11 for example – since that day back in 2001 aviation changed forever. It was that incident that saw reinforced flight deck doors on every aircraft, US Federal Air Marshals onboard some flights and secondary barriers for flight deck doors on long haul flights – These are just 3 changes but there were many more, all of which make flying much safer.


I could write about aircraft accidents and incidents for hours but I would like to finish this blog post on a more positive note. Although I have mostly mentioned Andreas Lubitz, I would like to share my thoughts on the Captain and Cabin Crew that day. Reports say the Captain, Patrick Sondenheimer, was heard trying to break his way back into the flight deck to save everyone on board. He was a married man, father of 2 young children and it has been said he moved to the airline Germanwings in order to be closer to his family. According to CNN recordings from the black box are heard of Sondenheimer pleading with the co-pilot “open the damn door!” The recording also includes the sounds of loud metallic bangs that sound like someone is trying to knock down the cockpit door. As details emerge, Patrick Sondemheimer has been praised all over social media for his bravery and people have hailed him as a hero. As a flight attendant I could only imagine what the crew must have been going through in those last few moments – perhaps calming passengers and helping Sondemheimer’s attempt to open the flight deck door. I have the upmost respect for everyone who tried to save that aircraft. 

My heart and condolences go out to the family and friends of the victims on Flight 9525. May the 150 people on board rest in peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment