Tuesday 3 February 2015

Feeling Lonely?

When I was at school I would always love to come home and have a bit of me time. After interacting all day with classmates, friends and teachers it was nice to take some time to just be by myself. As prophet Kelly Clarkson sings ‘doesn’t mean I’m lonely when I’m alone’  – and I wasn’t. Since working as Cabin Crew I have found I have a lot of time to myself whether that’s when I have days off in the week or I’m on standby. Most of my friends and family have your standard 9-to-5 jobs Monday to Friday so my days off tend to fall when they are at work. This resulted in me spending a lot of my time by myself at home, my own company was becoming very dull and I found myself feeling very lonely. So I have made some changes – Taking Flight, this blog being one of them – and since making these changes I am finding myself much happier.

Below I have conducted a list of 10 things you can do if you’re feeling lonely or bored:

1. Call or meet with and old friend or family member – As I mentioned, a lot of my friends and family are at work when I am off so it is the perfect time to spend time with family members who are retired e.g. your grandparents

2. Volunteering - volunteering is a great way to meet new people and give back to the community. It will also give you something to think about, to preoccupy your mind so you don’t begin to over-think and contemplate life (we’re all guilty of it)

3. Start a new project or find a new hobby – find something that interests you and go with it. Whether it’s fixing cars, making a model or even starting a blog! Join sporting clubs or local social clubs - this can be a great way to meet new people

4. Get a pet (if you’re allowed) or befriend an animal – company doesn’t have to come from a human. Having a pet can boost your energy levels and happiness. If you can’t have a pet for any reason, befriend a neighbours or family members pet and offer to look after them in your free time


Watching my Auntie Abbie's dog, Billy


5. Get creative – if you like to baking, drawing, painting or crafting use your free time to do just that. This will give you the perfect opportunity to express yourself and get the creative juices flowing

6. Exercise - join the gym, practice some yoga or even just go for a long walk with some great music. Exercise releases endorphins that will make you happier and feel much better – plus you will be benefitting your body and mind at the same time

7. Explore – whether it’s driving, walking or on public transport, take this opportunity to get out and about and see new places – take a camera with you if you like photography and capture some great imagery. This will make an interesting topic of conversation when you see your friends and family next


Finding beautiful locations to photograph in Guernsey isn't difficult, especially on a sunny day



8. Read a book or watch a film – sometimes it’s nice to forget about the stresses of everyday life and get lost in a good book or movie for a couple of hours

9. Do what needs to be done – it is so easy to procrastinate when you’re alone and end up watching hours of YouTube videos (guilty) when really this is the best time to do the housework, tidy your room and run some errands. Put your favourite music on and have a dance and sing-along to make the whole thing more bearable (you’re alone so go wild and have fun while doing it!)


Finally getting around to packing for my ski holiday
and listening my favourite songs at the moment
(dancing was inevitable)


10. Plan ahead – I am a huge fan of writing lists and being organised. So, if like me, you can’t see your friends and family when you’re off, plan ahead. Find time in your diary when you can meet with them and see when they are free too. Plan appointments you need to go to e.g. hairdresser or dentist. Plan what you can do on your next day off to keep you busy and give you something to look forward to


Remember feeling lonely is completely natural and anyone can feel that way from time to time. If you feel lonely the first thing you should do is talk to someone. The first people I go to when I feel like that are my two best friends – my parents. The next step to tackle loneliness or any feeling boredom is to read the list above and just do something!

I hope this helps some of you and if you’re ever feeling lonely feel free to email me or leave a comment below.

Go throw yourself into something new. Step out of your comfort zone and have fun when you have time to yourself because you don’t have to feel lonely when you’re alone.

Bye for now x

No comments:

Post a Comment