Monday 23 February 2015

20 things to do before I'm 20

Last week boyfriend turned 20 years old (happy birthday H!). I will be turning 20 on the 5th of December this year and I decided I would like to set some goals to achieve in the last year of my teens – just an excuse for late new years resolutions! The goals are not all life-changing things, this isn’t a bucket list – some are just small things I would like to during the course of the year.

Without further ado, here are 20 things I would like to do before I’m 20:

1. Visit the dentist – I know, I know, I should be visiting the dentist ever 6 months or so but, shamefully, I haven’t been to the dentist in years. I don’t enjoy the whole experience and my teeth look and feel in pretty good condition. Having said that I want to make it more of a habit to go for regular check ups to ensure everything is A-OK

2. Cook my grandparents a meal – This is just a small gesture that I would like to do, maybe more than once during the year. My Nan (mums mum) comes around to our house every Sunday for a roast but I think it would be nice to cook a different meal myself. My Dad’s parents, my Gran and Grandad, don’t often come around for dinner so I thought it would be nice to cook a meal for them – they even bought me some Jamie Oliver cook books for Christmas last year so it’s only fair.

3. Learn more BSL (British sign language) – towards the end of last year I started to learn some sign language with the aid of a DVD and a ‘teach yourself’ styled book. Just a few basic words, phrases and the alphabet. During the Christmas period I stopped for a while and haven’t really picked it back up again so hopefully by the time I’m twenty I will be able to have a basic conversation with a Deaf person.

4. Get my eyes tested – in my 19 years I have never had an eye-test. Although I am pretty positive my eyesight is absolutely fine I think it would be wise to get an eye-test just to be sure. I’m trying to set a good example for my parents who both refuse to get their eyes tested despite the fact they desperately need glasses! (Don’t kid yourselves).

5. Save money – one of my main goals in life is to travel the world and this year I want to save money on a monthly basis. Since working full time for 6 months now I feel I have had my fun with the money I’ve earned and now I am ready to really start putting the pennies away for the future.

6. Lose some weight – In the last 6 months I’ve put on roughly a stone (which is NOT okay with me), which I blame partly on the medication I’ve had and missing out on volleyball because of work. Before I’m 20, preferably in the next 6 months, I fully intend on losing this weight again!

7. Read more books – I love reading but last year I rarely took the time to sit down and enjoy a good book (except for when I was in Cyprus with my girl friends – we read A LOT of James Patterson that holiday). I am currently already on my 3rd book since being 19 and I have so many more I want to read including Gone Girl, The Thorn Birds and the Girl on the Train.

8. Grow my blog & enjoy doing it – This is a new thing I’ve been doing this year and I fully intend on continuing. I feel blogging is a very ‘teenage’ thing to do but if I enjoy writing blog posts and sharing with whoever wants to read I don’t see why I should stop!

9. Progress in my job – I have now been flying for 6 months (it’s flown by – pardon the pun) and in that time I have learnt so much. Before I am 20 I would like to progress further in my job, not necessarily working my way up the ladder (becoming a senior cabin crew member) but just continue to learn more and enjoy it just as much.

10. Volunteer – I would like to make it my goal to volunteer somewhere this year to give back to the community. I love animals so perhaps the GSPCA would be a good idea.

11. Make ‘healthy’ a habit – It would be awesome to enter my twenties living a healthier lifestyle. Having a habit of eating clean, nutritious meals, cutting out the crap and drinking plenty of water.

12. Wake up earlier on days off – I LOVE having a lie in but sometimes I feel like I’m just wasting the day if I get up anytime after 10am. So I’m going to try to wake up earlier on my days off, save the lie-ins for days that I’m working late shifts. This way I can really take advantage of this time, get to the gym, do what needs to be done and just enjoy my days off.

13. Go out more – sometimes I feel 90 rather than 19. I think this year I need to let my hair down! I’m still a teenager so I should go out and enjoy myself while I can. I’m old enough to know better but still young enough to do it anyway!

14. See my girl friends on a regular basis – Since leaving school all of my friends have got full time jobs and we don’t see each other near as much as we used to. Obviously at school we saw each other every weekday then also some weekends but now it’s not very often we get to be together. I really want to make that extra effort to see my girl friends more regularly because I MISS THEM!

15. Improve my volleyball skills – I’m always looking to improve my volleyball skills but the Island Games are in June so I’m trying extra hard to develop. Hopefully, if I get selected to play in the Natwest Island Games this year I will have competed in an international competition before I’m 20 too!

16. Try new foods – It’s no secret that I love food. I’m not a particularly fussy eater but when I find something I like, I tend to stick to it. In my last year of my teens I want to extend my palate and try new foods I wouldn’t normally.

17. Go to a concert – Going to a concert is such a cliché teenage thing to do. I was fortunate enough to receive tickets to go watch U2 at the O2 for Christmas from my parents so I cannot wait to do that!
                               
18. Go on a shopping spree – I’m a sucker for a good shopping spree and living in Guernsey doesn’t allow me to reach my full shopaholic potential so I think a huge shopping trip is in order, why not?

19. Enjoy a weekend away with friends – I already have a trip planned to go to Jersey with my boyfriend Harry, my friend Hannah and her boyfriend Sam. Although it’s only across to the other island I think it will be fun. It would also be great to go away with my girl friends too so we’ll have to keep an eye out for an opportunity to do so.

20. Spend more time with my family – I am very family-oriented but I don’t often see my grandparents, cousins or aunties as much as I would like. When I do see them I have the best time but those days a few and far between. I hope to see my little cousins more, especially in the school holidays when I can spend days with them on my days off or after an early shift.


So it turns out actually thinking of 20 things to do before I’m 20 was harder than I thought but I am happy with my goals! I hope you enjoyed reading todays blog post and maybe you will set some achievable goals for yourself to achieve within the next year.

Thank you for reading.


Bye for now x

No comments:

Post a Comment