Monday 9 February 2015

Alpe d'Huez Ski and Snow Trip 2015 - Day 3

09/02/15


Every limb is aching and all my muscles were stiff this morning. I’ve been using muscles I didn’t even know I had until now!

The day started with the routine of uploading yesterdays blog post in the bar downstairs and then breakfast before getting our snow gear on (slowly with a few moans and groans here and there due to aching muscles) and getting out on the slopes. The morning had a bit of a bothersome start… After getting to the top of the ski lift I realised the binding on my snowboard wasn’t working correctly. This meant I had to do the ‘walk of shame’ and head back down the ski lift in the gondola - NO ONE has to go DOWN the ski lift (except Richie who also broke his binding later on in the day and had to make his way down too). Once reaching the ski hire shop to get it fixed, I tried to tighten the binding and it worked perfectly… typical. So I had to trek back up to the ski lift and up to the top of the run again after realising there was in fact nothing wrong.

After having the confidence, and wind, knocked out of me yesterday, I got my mojo back and loved every minute of snowboarding today. We decided to go down some ski runs that were a bit more advanced and we were all progressing brilliantly. I even managed to make it down 3 or 4 runs without falling over - trust me, that is a HUGE improvement from yesterday's carnage.

Once we had a quick lunch break we headed to a ski lift called the ‘scare-chair’. It takes skiers from one mountain to another, following the gradient of the mountainside. It dips right into the valley and up the other side. In order to get to some green runs we had to make our way to the opposite side of the mountain - This meant we ended up skiing and snowboarding down red and blue runs to get there (I think we impressed ourselves and each other with how well we handled them). The views from the second mountain were beautiful - At this point in the day all the cloud below had cleared and we could see right to the bottom of the valley.

We continued to ski and snowboard down some blue and green runs and come 4:30pm we had to make our way back on the scare-chair before it closed. We made it back to our hotel in one piece (just about - we all managed to stack it at least once today, including mum). Then we headed to the bar for a hot drink and met up with Marc and Marie. The evening commenced once we had all showed and changed and we headed for a walk around the main town then dinner at a restaurant not far from our hotel. Straight after dinner we all turned in for an early night.

We have some fun plans for tomorrow so we are all eagerly anticipating the day ahead. Come back tomorrow to see what we get up to.

Family photo on the ski lift


View coming up the scare-chair

The beautiful morning sky from the fifth floor


Bye for now x

No comments:

Post a Comment